Essentially, there are two camps of strong opinions regarding the reality of ghosts: The Believers and Non-believers.
There’s a lot of confusion when it comes to defining the spirit world and ghosts. But that’s nothing new. The emerging science of parapsychology attempts to provide us with solid answers, but it’s an elusive quest that’s been ongoing for millennia.
The concept of the Spirit World is an ancient one. Each new century seems to offer new insights. More pieces of the puzzle are uncovered that move us closer to a clearer understanding of the rules and boundaries of the world ghosts. And, just like any other science, standards and opinions frequently change. However, when it comes to a world that exists beyond our third-dimensional realm of sight, sound, and smell, generally shared opinions stay the same.
People who have claimed to see a ghost swear it was NOT their imagination! That includes me!
The Merriam-Webster Dictionary Definition for Ghosts:
2. : a disembodied soul especially : the soul of a dead person believed to be an inhabitant of the unseen world or to appear to the living in bodily likeness.
The subject of ghosts has been the topic for countless books. They almost all state that ghosts are spirits of the dead that commonly haunt their former habitats. Over time, ghosts have been termed apparitions, spirits, revenants, earthbound spirits, specters, discarnates, disembodied spirits, phantoms, and phantasms. Because physical laws do not govern them, ghosts are said to walk through walls and can materialize and dematerialize at will. In fact, just ask any person that has seen one, and they’ll tell you, “It was there one moment, and then it was gone!”
Nowadays, the word “ghost” is synonymous with spirit, or earthbound spirit. However, some schools of thought strongly assert that there are specific differences between ghosts and earthbound spirits.
In her book, Ghosts and Earthbound Spirits (2006), Linda Williamson emphatically states, “Most people use the word ‘ghost’ to describe any type of spirit being, but to me, there is a distinct difference between ghosts and earthbound spirits. A ghost is not really a person. It is a psychic imprint left behind in a particular place by someone who lived there or perhaps died traumatically there. An earthbound spirit, on the other hand, is a real person. It is a deceased person who should have moved on after death but remains stuck in some sort of physical environment.”
Where Ghosts Are Found
Ghosts can appear any place on Earth. They’ve been documented from the highest mountains of Tibet to the deepest jungles of South America. Ghosts can appear in any form and might be completely solid to varying degrees of transparency. They can seem to walk normally, glide, hover in the air, and even hop like the Po Ghosts of China.
How Ghosts Look
Ghosts are reported to be completely solid looking, white, grey, or blue, or as dark shadowy figures. They can appear dressed as if from a bygone era to wearing modern clothing.
In most instances, ghosts usually appear in human form as children or adults, but they can take the shape of an animal. Many people have even reported seeing ghosts of beloved pets.
Not all ghosts are undulating figures. Some ghosts make their presence known by moving objects, causing noises, or even giving off odors. Often a cold breeze or sharp drop in room temperature accompanies a ghostly visitation.
Other ghosts might make their presence known by either gently touching a person or if the ghost is angry and hostile, will often try to strike out at the living. If a ghost is the result of a residual playback of an event, they will go about their business as they did in life and pay absolutely no attention to the living that witnesses them.
Royals, Celebrities, Rock Singers, and Statesmen Have Reported Seeing a Ghost
Famous People that Have Reported Seeing a Ghost
- Queen Elizabeth II of England reported seeing the ghost of John Brown, groom to Queen Victoria, at Balmoral Castle.
- The Queen also reported seeing the ghost of the long-dead Tudor Queen, Elizabeth I, at Windsor Castle.
- Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, saw Abraham Lincoln when staying at the White House.
- Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands also claimed seeing Lincoln at the White House.
- Former BBC Presenter, Selina Scott, often sees an old woman in her 15th century farmhouse kitchen.
- Singer, Lady Gaga believes she is shadowed by a troublesome male ghost.
- Actor, Keanu Reeves, as a boy in his New Jersey home, says he witnessed a frightening spirit.
- Actor, Roger Moore (former James Bond star) saw a pulsating mist in his bedroom.
- The Singer Sting claimed he once came face-to-face with a ghost which appeared in his bedroom in the dead of night.
In a Radio 2 interview he said: “I would never have said I believed in ghosts, until I saw one with my own eyes!”
- Oprah Winfrey’s old television studio reported many sightings of apparitions.
- Staff members to this day claim seeing the apparition of a man shot in error by William Randolph Hearst near the pool area at Hearst Castle.
- Actor, Cary Elwes, while on vacation in Spain as a boy, saw a horrific skull-like face of a Conquistador replete with helmet, peering in his castle window.
Header: Pictured is the most famous ghost image of all. The Brown Lady of Raynham Hall.
Another article you might be interested in:
We’ve just added comments capability to our posts. If you have something to say about what you’ve just read, do so below. I’d love to hear from you.